LIBERTY is seeking to transform steel manufacturing into a global product and technology leader through its GREENSTEEL strategies.
- GREENSTEEL aims to recycle and upcycle the growing amount of scrap steel, using electric arc furnaces powered by renewable energy.
- Raw materials and resources are secured locally to make steel products that are sold both nationally and globally.
- High grade engineered steel and alloys from the process feed downstream operations that make advanced components for demanding sectors such as automotive, aerospace, marine, off-road and defence.
- GREENSTEEL provides a more flexible and customer focused solution while also reducing the carbon footprint of manufacture, shortening the supply chain, retaining and upgrading skills, stimulating new technologies and engendering a sustainable and globally competitive metal manufacturing sector.
- LIBERTY is actively pursuing GREENSTEEL in the UK, Europe, Australia and the USA whilst it is also developing plans for implementing the strategy globally.
GREENSTEEL in action
Almost 90% of LIBERTY’s Scope 1 emissions are generated by our three major integrated plants (Galați, Ostrava and Whyalla) and we have detailed plans in progress to move each to a GREENSTEEL model. We now have defined projects at each to make this a reality in the coming years.